175g (6oz) plain flour + extra for dusting
75g (2 ¾ oz) butter + extra for greasing
For the filling
3 medium eggs beaten
85g (3oz) cheese (grated)
60g (2oz) ham (sliced)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Mixed herbs (to taste)
To make the pastry.
- Shift flour together with a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Rub the butter in until you have a breadcrumb texture.
- Add enough water to make the crumb mixture come together and form a firm dough.
- Rest in the fridge for 30minutes.
Pre-heat oven at 190 degrees.
To make the quiche.
- Grease the flan/ quiche dish.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface. Line the bottom of your flan/quiche dish with your pastry.
- Place baking paper over the top of your pastry in the dish. Fill with baking beans (or rice if you don’t have any beans). Blind bake for 20minutes.
- Remove the baking paper and beans/rice and put the pastry back in the oven for 5minutes.
- Reduce the temperature of the oven to 170 degrees.
- Place half of the grated cheese and cover with ham.
- Beat the eggs and milk together, season with the salt, pepper and mixed herbs. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40mintues until set and golden brown.